Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Least of These

 I prayed about who and what I was supposed to spend $7 on today.  I did the usual morning routine by taking each child to school, and then I vacuumed the pool, and took a shower.  After showering, I had a craving for a coke.  (Coke is what we call all sodas in Texas, but in this instance, I really did want Coca Cola coke.) So I asked God who else wanted a coke?  Teresa, is what I thought I heard.  This is cool, because Teresa is the sweetest lady I could ever care to meet.  I’ve told her things that I haven’t had the freedom to tell many, one because she has the faith to believe it, and two because she prays for me.  But Teresa is trying to lose weight, and I thought, “that wouldn’t be very nice to bring her a coke.”  Then I thought, “I really want a breakfast taco AND a coke!” “God, who would want a breakfast taco and a coke?” Teresa.  “So, then I really argued… “God, Teresa is trying to lose weight, what kind of a friend would I be if I brought her a breakfast taco and a coke?”  So, I started walking away, and all I heard was, “Teresa, Teresa.”  So, I was like, “I gotta hurry and get Teresa her breakfast taco, and coke.”
Teresa is the secretary at our church.  I came in, brought her the taco and coke, and explained it something like this… “I really wanted this, and this week if I buy something for myself, I have to buy it for someone else, and so here you go.”  She was appreciative, and I stayed and we talked a while.  I love talking to Teresa.  I really do.  I don’t even think she knows how blessed I am to talk to her.  I’ve tried to explain it to her, but I don’t think she really gets it.  She blesses me everytime we meet.  I love her to pieces.
I get around to explaining to her a little about 7, and she tells me about her morning.  She really wanted a vanilla coke.  The youth pastor has a stash of them in his office.  He wasn’t around, so she took the key and was going to get one out of his office.  As she was doing this, she was grumbling to the Lord about some relatives of hers that were being deceitful in the stories they were telling about her and her husband.  Then she felt like God spoke to her, and said that she was complaining about her relatives who were being deceitful, but she was about to take a coke that didn’t belong to her.  So she turned away, without getting a drink.  I imagine that this happened close to the time that God was telling me to give her a coke.  It makes perfect sense why He was so adamant. She also said that she hadn’t eaten breakfast that morning.  She was going to stop by McDonald’s on the way to work, but she didn’t. (She didn’t share with me why, and I’m guessing there is more to the story that I don’t need to know.) So God used me to bless one of His thirsty and hungry children today.
I’m so glad I stayed around to hear the rest of the story, and I am truly amazed that God cares this much for His children. He can use a clueless person like me to reward His child for a small act of obedience.

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?”…And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.”  Matthew 25: 37, 40

No comments:

Post a Comment