Friday, March 8, 2013

What Is Done In Secret

Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matt 6: 4b, Matt 6:6b,
and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matt 6:18 b

I have received another blessing from this fasting period.  For the first time God is showing me sin in my thought life.  Really, I’ve never understood it as sin before, but now I am being convicted, and it feels good.  Wanna know why?  Because those thoughts don’t just stay thoughts, they turn in to beliefs, and beliefs turn into attitudes, wrong attitudes toward people who are loved by Christ.

I’ll give you a little example.  The other day I was doing laundry, and just as I was pouring the laundry onto the bed, I had this “thought,” “My family doesn’t appreciate me.”  And I start folding shirts and underwear, and I’m thinking about why I shouldn’t have to be doing their laundry, and I’ll always be a slave to a husband that won’t put his dirty clothes in a laundry basket, and won’t do the simplest chores around the house, and doesn’t make his children responsible for their things, and I’m still folding laundry, and I realize I am making a SOAP OPERA in my own mind!  And I could have gone on….

Now, for the truth.  I love my family.  My husband works really hard.  He is going to school to be a Physician Assistant, because he believes that God has called him to it.  He studies every night, just to be able to pass his tests.  He has three tests this week.  And in the midst of all that, he went to life group with us on Sunday, he canceled his drum lessons so he could take my daughter to her basketball party, and so I could go to a meeting at church. He compliments me every evening for cooking a good dinner, he completely remodeled our ugly 60’s tiled bathroom over his Christmas break, and the list could go on and on….and that’s not even the point.

The point is, that my thoughts need to be taken captive! 

 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.
                                2 Corinthians 10:4-6
And here’s the truth that I felt like God was trying to speak to my stubborn heart while folding laundry.
Your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
The truth is that my family DOES appreciate me, but I wasn’t feeling appreciated at the moment.  But my heavenly Father saw, and He appreciates me.  Isn’t it cool that this verse is smack dab in the middle of teaching by Jesus on fasting and prayer, and eating and wearing clothes?  I just had to laugh about the clothes part…folding laundry…get it?  I love Him!

1 comment:

  1. so good! great reminder about capturing that thought life. I read a book by Jon Eldridge that talked about our thought patterns. Really great stuff. I'll have to see if I still have that book.

    ReplyDelete