Friday, March 8, 2013

Justice

I made my decision to fast lunches for 7 days, because my husband didn’t want to do these fasts with me, and I thought that since I am alone 5 of the 7 days for lunch, it really would be better for me to fast this meal and make it easier on everybody.  Sounds logical right? 
For the last five days my husband has come home for lunch.  Guess how many times in the last year my husband has come home for lunch?  About 8…including these last five days.  For the last few days, I’ve had to smell food several hours after he left.
Not only did I make the commitment to not eat lunch, I decided to put a time limit on it, so I wouldn’t just eat an early lunch or late lunch and call it fasting.  So I decided since the project is called 7, why not fast 7 hours.  Seemed catchy.   My hours would be from 10am-5pm.
Today, I came home from my daughter’s school at 9:55, and my husband’s car was in the driveway.  When I walked through the door, the smell of eggs and chorizo hit me.  “You made chorizo?” It was more of an accusation than a question.  What I meant was, “Are you kidding me?!?  Do you really want me to hate you?  You have eaten lunch at home for the last 4 days, and now you are making breakfast just at the time that my fast starts, so I have to smell food the entire time of my fast!”  His answer, “No, its bacon, potato, and egg, want some?”  I managed to politely say, “No, thanks.”
So, he ate the huge plateful of bacon, potato, and egg that easily could have fed our family of four.  He took a nap before going back to school, and on the way to school, he threw it up.  All of it. 

1 comment: