Saturday, March 9, 2013

The War Against Excess: Food Battle Won!

Today is the last day of fasting for me.  Yay!  And not so yay.  My biggest realization during this time is that I eat too much!  Really.  The reason I’ve gained all this weight in one year, is simply because, I consume more food than my body needs, and it makes me sad.  Especially because I know how much money I spend on food every month, and how many organizations there are in my local area to feed hungry people.  
Yesterday after fasting I was so hungry, I ate two pieces of a cookie, two bites of cake, and one of those -so much sodium-fake cheese and breadsticks-it-could clog an artery-packages.  I had been trying to eat healthy thinking of my sisters in spirit giving up all snacks and limiting themselves to 7 items for two weeks, but yesterday, I just couldn’t do it.  I ordered pizza for dinner.  A bacon and pepperoni pizza for my beloved boys, a pasta alfredo for my dear daughter, and a green pepper and mushroom pizza for me with the hopes that my boys might add a little veggies to their diet, too.  All I could eat was one piece.  ONE PIECE.  And I could barely finish that.  My stomach is shrinking, and I don’t think I want it to go back to the way it was.
This is the way my stomach thought before: "I can eat whatever I want.  I don’t have to share.  I can take more than is necessary for myself, I deserve it.  I don’t care if there are others who have less than me."  I want this smaller stomach’s thoughts to persevere: "I don’t need as much to survive, I can share my resources with those less fortunate, I will seek opportunities to give."
I pray that God will give me the grace to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment